Author Angela Aaron's Blog: Sarah Ballance is in the Attic today!

Sunday, March 9, 2014

Sarah Ballance is in the Attic today!

When I first became a writer, a very gracious person spent a lot of time and numerous emails giving me the ins and outs of publishing and promotion. Sarah holds a very special place in my heart for her kindness and I am thrilled to be able to repay her with a chance to promote her latest release. Please join me in welcoming Sarah Ballance to the attic today. Come on up and take a seat, Sarah. I'm so glad you are here today. I'm excited to learn more about your latest release.


Thanks you for having me. I’m here to chat up HER WICKED SIN, a historical romance that takes place during the Salem witch trials. The story behind this book could NOT be any crazier. I noticed Salem stories on Entangled’s Scandalous (historical romance) submissions page while looking for something for a friend. I’m just fascinated by the Salem witch trials, so I told my editor I should *one day* write a Salem romance. I had no idea she’d take me seriously, much less that she’d tell me to go ahead and write a proposal. I freaked out—I’d never written a word of historical in my life—and flailed a little, but I wrote the first three chapters and sent them in. The book was contracted, at which point I *totally* panicked…and then wrote the rest.

Is there anything you found particularly challenging with this work?

Oh, gosh. At first I thought it would be the research, but I quickly learned it was the misconceptions. I mean, not only did Puritans actually have sex, but they had premarital sex…enough of it that 20-40% of brides were pregnant on their wedding days! I worried no one would believe me, lol. I also learned a lot of the “facts” about the witch trials were not true, and I had to figure out how to present them with historical accuracy without making it look like my book was full of wrong information. And I had to do THAT without writing a history textbook. WHEW.

What genre is HER WICKED SIN?

HER WICKED SIN is a historical romance, but I also write contemporary and supernatural romance and romantic suspense.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned writing this book?

Puritans aren’t so puritanical. Not only was sex so important to them that they could divorce over an unsatisfactory sex life, but they also got their freak on with the Natives and affairs were quite common. There’s even a documented Puritan orgy!

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

I’ve now completed 11 books and didn’t even realize that until you asked, LOL. I have two more contracted but not yet written, but out of those I’ve finished I think HER WICKED SIN might be my favorite. I went so far out of my comfort zone to write that book, and I’m proud of myself, dang it!

Do you have a favorite character in any of your books?

Oh, gosh. I love and hate them all, lol. I think Gage from my upcoming Samhain release FORSAKEN belongs at the top of my list. He’s got a wry sense of humor and just can’t resist giving the heroine a hard time. He’s so much like my husband it’s scary. 

Does this character share anything in common with you?

Not so much me, but the banter, humor, and endless character jabs are straight out of my relationship with my husband. We’ve been giving each other a hard time for over eighteen years now, and it’s just fun to see that same vibe in FORSAKEN.

Wow, thanks for the glimpse into the writer, Now for a couple of quick "get-ta-know-ya" questions for a glimpse into Sarah:

What is your favorite meal?

Anything spicy. OMG, I love anything that makes the rest of my family cringe and run in terror!

What songs are most played on your Ipod?

I have all of Jason Aldean’s albums on one playlist and I listen to it endlessly.

What question do you wish was on the list? Your answer?

Actually, I could have done without the food question. Now I’m craving chiles rellenos and jalapenos, LOL!

What are your current/future projects?

AN UNEXPECTED SIN, book two in the Sins of Salem series, releases in April from Entangled Scandalous. I have a contemporary romance releasing from Entangled’s Indulgence line this summer, and this fall book three of my Salem series will release. The aforementioned FORSAKEN will be out in September with Samhain, and I have another romantic suspense coming late this year from Entangled Ignite.

Is there anything else you'd like to say to your readers?

You guys are the reason I do it. Thank you for reading, always.

Where can readers find more out about you and your book?

Amazon
Barnes & Noble
Kobo
iTunes
Goodreads

And where can readers find out more about YOU?
Website
Blog
Facebook
Twitter
Pinterest
Goodreads

Sarah, I've had a blast talking with you today. Again, thank you so much for joining me in the attic today.
You will always be one of my very special "good things."

And now, before you climb down from the attic, how about a snippet from your book that will intrigue and tantalize us:

HER WICKED SIN (Sins of Salem – historical romance)
He borrowed another deep breath, this one pulling over the flesh of her neck in a soft, needy moan. “I fear you will withhold me, lovely Lydia. Are you sure this is what you want?”
“I want nothing more.”
She barely managed the words before his lips found her skin and nearly sent her wilting to her knees. The fire might have jumped from the hearth for the way his touch kindled an unbridled heat deep within, but she held fast to her cause, maneuvering by feel when she could no longer see her ministrations.
They were fully pressed now, she and Henry, with his body hot and hard. Though his height bested hers, they seemed to fit as one when she looked upon high, baring her neck to his attentions. She fought for the feel of his skin beneath her fingertips, and when he finally broke from his kisses it was to rip free of his top garments. The barrier shed, he returned to their closeness without hesitation, filling his hands with her hair and guiding her position so he once again had access to her flesh.
She felt raw with her need, but not at all wounded from past scars. Her fingertips raked his back, and she marveled at the strength she had not yet seen—at the rise and fall of tightly formed muscle under smooth skin. Her mind wandered lower, and though she dared not risk the barrier of his breeches, the thought of what awaited left her undeniably shaken.
“I wish to know you as my wife,” he said, his words a coarse and desperate whisper.
“Then you shall,” she replied, her words a breathy promise, the consequences of which she would neither consider nor deny.

Want more? Click here for the extended excerpt.

2 comments:

  1. Angela, your intro is too kind! I'm really touched, and I'm so glad I was able to offer a shoulder back in those early days. I'm thrilled to be here today - thank you for having me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great interview! It's good to see you out and about, Sarah! HUGE congrats on the new release...keeping my fingers crossed for lots of sales! :D

    ReplyDelete