Author Angela Aaron's Blog: Mark Alan Shaffer is in Angie's Attic today!

Saturday, March 15, 2014

Mark Alan Shaffer is in Angie's Attic today!

My guest in the attic today is one of the first people who gave my books a place on his facebook "shelf." I am now thrilled to give him a place on my blog. Join me in giving a big hello to Mark Alan Shaffer. Mark is a Science Fiction Author with two books under his belt. Come on up, grab yourself a trunk, get comfy and lets get to know Mark.

Howdy Mark, I'm so glad you could join me today. Can you tell us a little about yourself?

I grew up in a little town in Northeastern Ohio called Alliance. I have lived in different cities in Ohio, but I always came back to my home town, where I currently reside.

What inspired your writing career?

I always enjoyed reading Science Fiction, so with my active imagination I thought I would try it. I am inspired by different locations, pictures, People and music. I am especially inspired by Al Stewart. The song “Running Man” helped me to work on my new book “Mystery by the Bay.” Also on this project I am working with Author and Editor Nancy Medina, who I became friends with on Facebook.
Today, lets talk about Transference and Crimson Enigma, two books of the Enigma Series.

What inspired you to write this series?

The first book Transference was just a short story, I think I was inspired to write it by my Grandfather that was an inventor, and my Father that was a B17 Pilot.

The second book Crimson Enigma is a much longer book with sketches in it to help explain the story. The inspiration for it came more from people and music from the 70's.

If you had to do it all over again, would you change anything in your latest book?

No, not the story. I think it stands very well just like it is.

Did you ever experience writers block? How did you get over it?

I would go for long walks, listen to music. Just do anything besides write.

How are you the same from your main character?

There is a lot of me in all the characters that I create.

Tell us a little bit about your cover art. Who designed it?

It was created by a Canadian Artist friend of mine named Angele Gougeon.
She did all the Artwork for Crimson Enigma.


What do you like to do when you're not writing?

I enjoy photography and making models of my story ideas.


Now for a couple of quick "get-to-know-you" questions.

What is your favorite restaurant and favorite dish?

I would have to say steak, chicken and ribs up at the Texas Roadhouse.


Do you listen to music when you write and what?

Yes, I do listen to music when I write. Over the years it has given me some of my best ideas. Al Stewart of course. And YES, ELP, Kansas and Doobies to name a few.

Do you write during the day or night?

Of course, day and night. I'm a writer!

As a child, what did you want to be when you grew up?

An Astronaut.

What is under your bed?

Old VHS movies.

What do you wish I asked you that I didn’t?

I think we covered everything.

Any future projects in the works?

Oh yes, I am going to rewrite Transference to make it longer and add artwork to it as well. Also working on two other books in the Enigma Series- Mystery by the Bay and Megastar.

Is there anything else you'd like to say to your readers?

Crimson Enigma is available through Lulu.com, Amazon.com or I can get it for you at a special price. Markus31155@netzero.net

Where can readers find more out about you and your book (webpage, blog, buy link, etc.)
www.facebook.com/groups/MarksBookshelf

Thank you, Mark for joining me in the attic today. I enjoyed adding you and your writing to my collection of "good things."
And now, before you climb down from the attic, how about a snippet from your book that will intrigue and tantalize us:

The story opens with two Agents from ISIS Space Station Security investigating malfunctions and possible sabotage at the United Space Agency’s newest orbital complex, The Freedom III Space Station. The investigators spend about an hour doing a routine safety check of the outer hull area. The Agents think they may have found something so they head back inside the station to check their findings with the lab. Moving into the clean room just inside the pressure hatch they begin to remove their space suits and stow their testing equipment.
As they remove their protective helmets the air lock of the sealed room explodes. Their environment was being sucked out into the emptiness of space and they could do nothing to stop it. It was all the two Agents from ISIS could do to not be swept away with their air and anything else that was not nailed down.
They tried to hang on to the contours and projections on the wall but they both knew what the out come would be. As painful as it was Christine Walters could not help watching her partner and friend as he was wrenched from the once safe confines of the Station out into the vacuum of space. There was very little that she could do for him as he floated farther and farther away. Eventually Agent Walters strength ebbed away and she resigned herself to the same fate as her partner and released her hold on the Station. She thought of Mitch Hawkins, a dear friend of hers, and the words left unsaid as she drifted away from the Freedom III Station.

For her there was only darkness…


“Crimson Enigma” can be found on Lulu.com and Amazon.com
This Author can be found on Facebook and contact him at:
Markus31155@netzero.net and also on his Online Bookshelf. www.groups.yahoo.com/group/Marksbookshelf





No comments:

Post a Comment