Author Angela Aaron's Blog: Welcoming J.S. Wayne to the Attic today!

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Welcoming J.S. Wayne to the Attic today!





As I sit here in the attic looking around at the objects that bring joy and good feelings, I am reminded that not only do things make us smile, but more times than that it is people who brighten our day. The delightful writer joining us today is sure to put a grin on your face. I am so pleased to introduce the witty, always wacky… JS Wayne.
Hi J.S. Thanks so much for climbing up to the attic and for being the first author to join me on the new blog. I really appreciate your willingness to answer a few questions and give us a peek into how that wonderful imagination of yours works.

What inspired you to write "The Gael and the Goddess?"

*laughs* I was working on a drawing of a nude woman on a rocky promontory, which has become kind of a hobby of mine. About halfway through, I got to thinking that the woman I was drawing would make a perfect sea goddess. Then a domino effect kicked off, and I ended the night with a fun drawing…and a great story, if I say so myself!

Is there anything you found particularly challenging with this work?

Surprisingly, this was one of the easier books I’ve written lately. I didn’t feel any pressure, like there were any parts I had to force, or like I was straying out of my zone. That’s become more and more rare for me, so it was a welcome pleasure to be able to just pound the keys and let it flow.

What genre do you consider your book(s)?

My books wander all over the genre map. I’ve written everything from contemporary to urban fantasy to the sci-fi project I’m embroiled in now for a fan. On paper, they go down as romance, but I think with a little repackaging my books could fall into any number of genres. I like humor, suspense, a little darkness, and a lot of sex, but the one thing I DON’T want to do is the same old, same old. I don’t want to be known as a “romance” writer or a “this” writer or a “that” writer. Ultimately, I want readers to remember me as a writer they want to come back to, not as a writer of one particular thing.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned writing this book?

I guess the most surprising thing I learned is how popular the mermaid myth is. It seems just about every culture with a connection to the ocean has one, and it was fun to see how different cultures treat the topical matter.

How many books have you written? Which is your favorite?

As of January 16th, I will have written and published 18 novels, novellas, and short stories. I have a hard time picking my favorites, so I’ll try to roughly categorize them:
1) Most “literary:” Wail, my paranormal suspense novel about a banshee;
2) Most “fun:” Sock It To Me, a story about an NYPD detective who finds a faerie maiden in his apartment, with surprising and sexy results;
3) Most “important:” “A Hope In Hell,” about a demoness sent to Earth to help a vampire bring justice to those who abuse the innocent (this one showed up in the Writing Out Child Abuse anthology A Light In The Darkness);
4) Most sexy: Well…they’re ALL sexy, so I’ll let the reader pick that one! ;)

Do you have a favorite character in any of your books?

Choosing my favorite character is like choosing a favorite aspect of myself. I like to create strong, intelligent men who aren’t brutes and strong, snarky women who can fend for themselves and don’t NEED a man. (Even if they like having one around!) So, I can say all my characters are favorites, but for very different reasons. My favorite overall, though, would probably be Moradiel, my angel of death from a no-longer-in-print series I’m giving an editorial once-over to before I work on resurrecting it. He’s tender when he needs to be, and he’s bad enough to take on the Angel of Death himself and is ready to square off against both Heaven and Hell for the sake of the woman he loves!

Does this character share anything in common with you?

Only in my dreams! (I don’t have wings, rippling abs, or a badass scythe-whip-flail combination weapon! ;) )

Plotter or Pantser? Why?

I’m kind of a weird cross between the two. I’m not really a pantser because I like to have some idea where I’m taking my story, but I’m not a plotter because I worry that too much handling of the story too early will kill it.
Morning Person? Or Night Person?
Vampire. If I had my choice I’d get up around sundown, work all night, and go to bed around nine a.m. Then I could literally say I do more before 9 than most people do all day! :D

What would we find under your bed?

I keep an art pad under my bed, to protect my drawings in progress. The sketch pad I’m working on now contains a number of nude female figure studies, some of which I’m thinking about framing. Other than that, I try to keep it pretty clean, because I find a messy house is a lot harder to work in. (Wonder if that’s just me?)

What are your current and future projects?

My current WIP is a project for a fan, Cassi R. I put out a call to ask readers to tell me what I should write next, and so I’m working on Dusk, a full-length sci-fi novel with an MFM ménage, magick, and a hapless alien race controlled by an evil magician. If that sounds like a lot going on in one book…you’re right, but it’s going to be a hell of a ride!
After that I want to get the Angels revised, completed, and sent off to an agent. My hope is that with the positive reviews of the first three stories and the added content, it’ll be a cinch to get in!

Is there anything else you'd like to say to your readers?

Thank you all so much for coming over to Angie’s Attic and hanging out with me and Angie today. Please follow me on Facebook, Twitter, G+, and stop by and say howdy! I always love talking to new people and making new friends. :D
And a huge thank-you to Angie for allowing me to be the first guest on her new blog!

Where can readers find more out about you and your book?

Blog: http://jswayne.wordpress.com

Twitter: @Author_JSWayne

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/js.wayne.5

Google +: https://plus.google.com/u/0/100659249745105966026/

Email: jswayne702@gmail.com

Current books: http://jswayne.wordpress.com/available-works-covers-blurbs-and-buy-links/

The Gael and the Goddess: http://changelingpress.com/product.php?&upt=book&ubid=2186

Thank you, J.S., for joining me in the attic today. I enjoyed adding you to my collection of good things.

And now, before you climb down from the attic, how about a snippet from your book that will intrigue and tantalize us:

Even the heart of a goddess is subject to the whims of Fate…
Every millennium, the Ocean Goddess, Yemala, makes a pilgrimage to the shore to continue good relations between land and wave. Leaving her watery realm in the hands of her Chancellor, the nymph Amphichrale, she travels to the surface for the first time in a thousand years. A lot has changed since she last surfaced, and the goddess immediately finds herself in the clutches of the mortal law... and unable to use her oceanic powers.
Liam McGrue is a hard-headed, hard-drinking, hardworking fisherman. He asks nothing of life but an easy catch during the day and a warm fire and a glass of whiskey at night. The fiery redhead who claims to have come from the sea itself intrigues him, and his rash, poetic Gaelic heart jumps to her defense and aid. But when he realizes she's not daft or telling him a tale, that she really is who and what she claims to be, Liam will have to choose between his lonely life on the surface and a completely new existence beneath the waves as the consort of a goddess.
A flash of scarlet from the tiny, rocky arm thrusting into the harbor caught his eye, and he turned to get a better look. Aside from the navigation lights, there was little color to be seen on the coast. The rocks were a uniform greenish gray, slick with moss and spray, pretty enough to look at in the sunset, to be sure, but certainly nothing of that particular color was usually present.
He frowned as he got a good look, and blinked. Thinking his eyes must be sporting him, he picked up the binoculars from their perch beside the wheel. Quickly he turned the thumbscrew to adjust the focus. The apparition blurred for a moment and then reappeared in sharp, clear definition.
His jaw dropped.
He’d never seen the likes of the woman about town before, he’d gladly swear to that in the village church. More to the point, he’d never seen a woman pacing placidly along the small promontory wearing only what attire God saw fit to send her into the world in, striding along like she hadn’t a care in the world about what anyone might think.
Oh, she was a pretty one, right enough. Her proudly erect carriage bespoke a woman who had nothing to be ashamed of, a fact Liam could appreciate in more ways than one. Her breasts jutted out, just full and round enough without being too much of a good thing, and her belly offered the exact right amount of curve to look like she’d be right pleasant to curl up with on a chilly Irish night. Her buttocks and hips flared enough to give a man ideas, and her legs looked strong enough to wrap around a man and hold on until he begged her for mercy. A belt of gold interlinked with some silvery metal crested in stylized waves about the top of her hips, and the jewel hanging down in front drew his eye downward whether he willed it or not. The small stripe of hair at the top and center of her thighs drove the moisture from his mouth, wishing he could only stroke it, never mind what lay beneath. Topping her luscious body, a wavy mass of vibrant red hair flowed behind her like a queen’s banner, adding to her proud but not haughty carriage.
“Bloody hell,” he breathed, whispering a prayer of thanks to Jesus for making him a man and then putting him in this place, at this time, to see this stunning, staggering woman.
She turned, and for a moment he could have sworn she looked right through the lenses of binoculars, through his eyes, and right into his soul. The details of her face, each one exquisite in its own right, paled to insignificance next to the force of her gaze. Her eyes glowed brightly with an inner light to put amethysts to shame. She smiled, and it was as glorious and uncomplicated an expression as he’d ever laid eyes on, a grin of pure, free-spirited delight. With a regal tilt of her head and a wicked wink of her eye, she turned away and kept walking, her pace unhurried and calm, as if she had all eternity and beyond to get wherever she might be bound.


4 comments:

  1. This is so you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *grins* Whah, whatevah do you mean? ;)
    Thanks for stopping by!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hiya, JS! Long time no see! Still not drinking the gravy, but I'm glad to see you're up to ALL THE THINGS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, Sarah! Good to see you!
    Yeah, I'm keeping myself plenty busy. Now I just have to hope it pays off! ;)
    Thanks for coming over. :D

    ReplyDelete